When you take out life insurance, it's important that we provide you with the highest standards of service in all your dealings with us.
That's why we've adopted the Life Insurance Code of Practice (Code). It reflects our commitment to high quality customer service and it's designed to protect you, our customer.
What the Life Insurance Code of Practice covers
The Code sets out the life insurance industry's key commitments and obligations to customers on standards of practice, disclosure and principles of conduct for their life insurance services, such as being open, fair and honest. It also sets out timeframes for insurers to respond to claims, complaints and requests for information.
The Code covers many aspects of your relationship with us, from buying insurance to making a claim, to providing options if you experience financial hardship or require additional support. It’s monitored by an independent committee, to ensure effective compliance by life insurers. Insurers can be sanctioned if they don’t correct breaches of the Code.
The Code also contains minimum standard medical definitions, which apply to trauma insurance policies issued from 1 July 2017. The Code requires insurers to assess cancer, heart attack and stroke claims against both the applicable definition in your policy document, and if different, the applicable minimum standard medical definition.
Key Code promises
- We’ll be honest, fair, respectful, transparent, timely, and where possible we’ll use plain language in our communications with you.
- We’ll monitor sales by our staff and our authorised representatives to ensure sales are appropriate.
- If we discover that an inappropriate sale has occurred, we’ll discuss a remedy with you, such as a refund or a replacement policy.
- We’ll provide additional support if you have difficulty with the process of buying insurance or making a claim.
- When you make a claim, we’ll explain the claim process to you and keep you informed about our progress in making a decision on your claim.
- We’ll make a decision on your claim within the timeframes defined in the Code, and if we cannot meet these timeframes you can access our complaints process.
- If we deny your claim, we’ll explain the reasons in writing and let you know the next steps if you disagree with our decision.
- We’ll restrict the use of investigators and surveillance, to ensure your legitimate right to privacy.
- The independent Code Compliance Committee will monitor our compliance with the Code.
- If we don’t correct Code breaches, sanctions can be imposed on us.
Getting a copy
AMP Life Limited has transitioned to the Code effective Friday 30 June 2017.
Report an alleged breach
You can report an alleged breach of the Code via the Financial Services Council website.
Any advice and information on this website is general in nature and is provided by AMP Life Limited ABN 84 079 300 379 (‘AMP Life’), which is part of the Resolution Life group. The advice does not take into account your personal objectives, financial situation or needs. Therefore, before acting on the advice, you should consider the appropriateness of the advice, having regard to those matters.
Products in the AMP Eligible Rollover Fund, National Mutual Retirement Fund, and NM Pro Super Fund are issued by Equity Trustees Superannuation Limited ABN 50 055 641 757. Insurance and Investment products are issued by AMP Life.
AMP Limited ABN 49 079 354 519 has sold AMP Life to the Resolution Life group whilst retaining a minority economic interest. AMP Limited has no day-to-day involvement in the management of AMP Life whose products and services are not affiliated with or guaranteed by AMP Limited. AMP Limited is not liable for products issued by AMP Life or any statements or representations made in the PDS or policy documents for those products. “AMP”, “AMP Life” and any other AMP trademarks are used by AMP Life under licence from AMP Limited. AMP Life is part of the Resolution Life group and can be contacted on 133 731 or via the contact us page. If you decide to purchase or vary a financial product, AMP Life and/or other companies within the Resolution Life group will receive fees and other benefits, which will be a dollar amount or a percentage of either the premium they pay or the value of their investments. You can ask us for more details.
All information on this website is subject to change without notice.